Jesse Escalante says his son escaped with most of their dogs in hand, but they thought three puppies were dead inside. But when the dogs’ mother refused to leave the yard and kept whining, firefighters went back inside. They found one of puppies unharmed under some insulation in a front bedroom. The dog was reunited with its mother and the owner of the home.
“How it survived is a mystery, but it certainly gave all of us around here hope,” the department’s Facebook post said.
The fire was caused by a space heater sitting too close to combustible materials, the department said.
“It was pretty crazy,” said Jamie Baxter, a fire specialist with AFD. “We didn’t think there’d be anything alive in the structure. It was pretty heavily damaged.”
Escalante has been through a lot this year; his wife passed away and his grandson was killed in October while working as a security guard at a bar.